|Professionally Reviewed by: Alex Gurevich|
Digital Marketing Expert
Written By Jason Rowse - Digital Marketing Expert
AWeber in a NutShell
|Free Plan:||up to 500 subscribers and 3k emails/month|
|User Accounts:||Multiple, with different logins|
|Segmentation and Geo:||Yes|
|Means of Use:||Tablet, mobile, social media, web|
|Industry:||Advertising, Marketing, eCommerce|
Aweber Video Review
What is AWeber?
It is an email marketing software which allows segmentation of your contacts into categories and offers basic automation features that send triggered emails to your contacts when they subscribe to a list. Additional features include a wide range of templates, an autoresponder, reporting, and A/B split testing.
AWeber Pros & Cons
- Design with Canva: Canva is a graphic design platform that uses a drag-and-drop system. AWeber allows you to create images with Canva as these are a great way to get an emotional reaction from an audience. People are drawn more to visual content. Having an image in your email campaign has that opportunity to capture your contacts' attention more than it would with plain text.
List management tool: AWeber allows you to collect, manage and segment your subscribers based on different actions. You can track who has opened the emails, what links they have clicked on, revenue generated and how many people have unsubscribed.
Variety templates: AWeber has over 700 HTML newsletter templates available. A few of the templates are a bit outdated, but with some editing you can create one to match for your brand's aesthetic. If you, for some reason, don't like any of them, AWeber allows you to import HTML templates.
RSS to email templates: AWeber has a feature called "Blog Broadcasts" that allows you to broadcast your latest or previously written blog to your subscribers. Unfortunately, they don't have the widest selection of templates to choose from when using the RSS broadcast.
- Charge for unsubscribes:If you're not careful, AWeber’s pricing can start to add up without you realizing it. AWeber charges you for the number of subscribers you have and will still keep on charging you for that subscriber until you remove the contacts information from the system.
- Keyword violation:One review I found online said that AWeber closed his account due to a violation of keywords. Going through the AWeber agreement, they mention that you don't have permission to use any words that resemble AWeber. So that is something to watch out for.
- Poor deliverability rates:AWeber has a 6% deliverability rate which can mean your emails have a high chance of landing in the spam folder. There are ways to boost your deliverability rates by keeping subscribers engaged and deleting those that never open your emails. However, even if you do your best to stick by the rules, you might still find your emails end up anywhere but your subscriber's inbox.
Who is AWeber Good for?
If you want thorough reporting- AWeber does well in this area. They don't offer google analytic integration, but they have various other reporting, including email opens, link clicks, and generated sales. You can also see new subscribers that have been added and in what ways they were obtained.
If you need phone support- Multiple reviews online have been raving over AWeber's support, saying that they are quick to get back to you and can easily sort out a problem. A bonus is that you can contact them via phone, email or live chat.
If you are looking for an autoresponder- Businesses don't always have the time to personally respond to emails. AWeber allows you to set up an autoresponder so that will automatically reply when someone sends a message requesting information.
AWeber is not recommended for:
If you can afford to have your account closed suddenly- AWeber is strict regarding their terms of agreement and if you do not obey the rules even if it was unintentional, they will shut down your account without warning. They don't offer any suspension, and when they do shut down your account, you can possibly lose all of your data. If you're lucky, they will send you your data in a zip file.
If you can afford to pay a premium price- Unfortunately, AWeber charges significantly more than other software. If you are in the beginning
AWeber Deliverability (Rated: 4/5)
There are tools offered to help boost your deliverability rates, and it is easy to segment your email lists to allow for delivery by time zone. The deliverability of Aweber can be low, but they earn a score of 4.
Aweber has a deliverability rate of 6%, which on the whole is poor, despite advanced systems for time zone scheduling and geographic segmentation. Aweber offers ways to improve your deliverability rates, but there is still the high chance that your emails will not reach the intended inbox.
AWeber Pricing (Rated: 4/5)
Aweber is priced higher than most of their competitors, but the offer of multiple tools to improve, analyze and review your campaigns are worth it. I give it a score of 4.
AWeber prices range between $19-$149. They also offer a 19.2% discount if you pay annually. There is a free and a pro plan to choose from. The pro plan's features stay the same, but the price goes up the more contacts you add. The free plan is limited and doesn't include email split testing, behavior automation, and purchase tagging.
|0-500 Subs.||Price: $19.99/month|
|501-2500 subs.||Price: $29.99/month|
|2501-5000 subs.||Price: $49.99/month|
|5001-10000 subs.||Price: $69.99/month|
AWeber’s Cancellation/Refund Policy
Refunds are possible, but they will first evaluate your account. Canceling your subscription is easy, and it can all be done from within your account. Your account won't close immediately, and you can still use it until the end of your billing period. If you don't want to close your account entirely, you can put it on hold for $4.99 per/month. This way, all your information, and contacts will stay safe.
Key Features and Workflows
And what about the key features and workflows for AWeber? Here is an overview.
Creating Emails and Campaigns
What first stood out with AWeber is how easy it is to create an email campaign. The drag-and-drop functionality makes the whole process quick and painless.
The platform is easy to navigate and in a matter of a few minutes, you’ll be ready to send your campaign to your email list.
I liked the fact that if I wanted to select a feature such as the drag-and-drop email builder, all I needed to do was to hover the mouse over the tabs and select the right tool.
- Emails Sent/Opened and Links Clicked– AWeber provides you with email analytics that include opens, click-throughs, unsubscribes and emails sent. The information from these reports allows you to make improvements to increase the impact of your campaigns. The revenue per email report makes it easy to directly connect your campaigns’ success to the ROI they bring back in dollar terms.
- Deliverability Rates and Delivery by Time Zone– one of the main ways to ensure that emails sent arrive at the most convenient time for the recipient is delivering by time zone. This is an area where the AWeber software excels. The company makes it easy to segment your email lists by geographic locations and schedule emails to be sent to each group at the time that will ensure the greatest open rates.
- Creating and Importing Email Lists– AWeber lets you import your subscribers list on their “Add Subscribers” page. The software also allows you to omit the unsubscribed list by clicking on the “Currently Subscribed” button. The process lets you add only the current and active subscribers. You can also create conditions to automatically remove users based on factors like number of bounces or set time without an email sent.
- Split Tests and A/B Testing– Creating a split test with AWeber lets you test different content to increase the response rate of your readers. AWeber even provides you an eBook with multiple examples for carrying out your split tests. The A/B testing feature helps boost the subscriber list and conversions. I was also able to boost my autoresponder series to increase my conversions.
- Personalization– you can add information that is specific to your email subscribers via the personalization fields. AWeber also lets you add a personalization field when editing your messages by first choosing a block where you would like to add your message. This is an effective way to boost engagement and a good tool to prevent the message from landing in the spam folder.
Reporting and Analysis (Rated: 5/5)
Aweber earns a perfect score for their analysis features, which offer in-depth tracking for your campaigns. The metrics offered are extensive, giving you a well-rounded view of the campaign’s performance.
AWeber’s reporting and analytics allows you to track your email campaigns more in-depth.
You can view your total emails sent, bounces, and even complaints. You are also able to see the total number of emails opened, clicks, sales, web hits, and unsubscribes.
With the data from the reports, it was easy for me to segment my email list and create and send more targeted email campaigns.
- Engagement Reports- the AWeber platform lets you easily see your email opens and click rates. This allows you to tell whether your email campaigns are running successfully or need to be improved for more subscriber engagement. Simply go to your messages drop-down menu and click campaigns to see your opens and clicks.
- Heat Maps- heat mapping allows you to see not just who visited your website, but also which clicks had the most engagement. Unfortunately, AWeber does not have a heat-mapping feature. However, there are integrations that you can connect with AWeber to enable heatmapping.
- Campaign Comparison Report- with AWeber’s email automation platform you can create multiple email campaigns and set them to run either individually or concurrently. This allows you to compare the results from each campaign and find the one with the most engagement.
- Segmentation- the AWeber segmentation feature enables you to divide your email list into groups with similar interests so you can send tailored email campaigns to each group with information that is directly relevant to them. You can easily create a segment through the “Manage Subscribers” button.
- Social Media Tracking- integrating social media and email marketing is a powerful way to create leads and increase subscriber list and conversions. AWeber social media integrations such as Heyo, Woobox, Shortstack, and Viralsweep allow you to keep an eye on the interactions of your email campaigns and customers on social media.
- ROI Analysis- AWebers email tracking feature shows you your emails’ revenue. This data can be used to make changes that increase conversions and ROI. You can even track this data on the go thanks to AWeber’s mobile stats app.
AWeber Integrations (Rated: 5/5)
The integrations assist in upgrading Aweber into an effective marketing tool, and there are hundreds of options so that you can build the campaigns you need. I give them a score of 5.
I was pleased to see that AWeber has an extensive catalog of third-party integrations that let you customize and optimize your email marketing campaigns.
You can access hundreds of integrations for CRM, eCommerce, lead generation, social media, and Content Management.
I found all the integrations that I needed to be simple to connect with my AWeber account. The WordPress plugin, for instance, made it easy to add a sign-up form on my site in just a few minutes.
- Google Analytics- The google analytics integration lets you keep track of your sign-up forms and how your subscribers and customers are engaging with your messages. I could easily track my web pages as well as specify goals for certain webpages on my site.
- API Integrations– AWeber features an API that allows users to connect their AWeber account with other services and sites. This is a great tool for advanced users, although beginners should still have more than enough with the available AWeber integrations
- Ecommerce Tools– AWeber gives you plenty of ecommerce integrations. You can connect your AWeber account with PayPal using the PayPal integration. There is also the Shopify, Big Commerce, WooCommerce and Etsy integrations that enable you to connect your AWeber account with the leading eCommerce platform\
- CRM Integrations– You can connect a number of CRM integrations including Zendesk, Salesforce, and LiveAgent to help keep your business vivid in the minds of your customers. By integrating your CRM and email campaigns, you can gain a broader view of each customer and provide better tailored content with higher success rates.
- Social Media Integrations- With the Facebook plugin, you can connect your AWeber account to send your email campaigns to your Facebook fans. Aweber has multiple other social media integrations such as Facebook Leads Ads, and LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms. You can even create landing pages for social media easily with the Lander integration.
- Apps– you can connect your AWeber account with hundreds of different App integrations to get the most out of your email marketing campaigns. There are multiple apps for social media, CRM, eCommerce, lead generation, landing pages and more. Whatever goals you have, you can find an app to help you achieve it.
- Plugins- I enjoyed using AWeber as I could always find a plugin for the task I needed to accomplish. There are hundreds to choose from including WordPress, Blogger, Squarespace, Wix and many more. The integration process is fast and easy and only takes a couple of minutes.
AWeber Automation (Rated: 3/5)
Aweber has effective automation features in place, but some of the email templates could do with an update, and so I give them a score of 3.
The AWeber platform is incredibly simple to navigate and intuitive to use. Its email automation feature makes it easy to create scheduled email blasts, and even set up custom drip campaigns for a variety of purposes, from post-sales to lead nurturing.
You can also send triggered email campaigns and tag your customers according to the types of links clicked and the emails opened.
The drag-and-drop feature lets you easily create automated sequences. I found the advanced email automation feature to be just as simple and straightforward to use.
With less time handling tasks manually, you have more time to boost engagement and conversions.
Design and Ease of Use (Rated: 5/5)
Aweber offers an intuitive and simple interface, earning a score of 5. The system allows for the creation of email campaigns that are quick and effective.
The best email marketing software is not just one that delivers results but is also easy to use. AWeber is without a doubt very intuitive. Its streamlined design also makes it easy to navigate.
Using the various features and connecting with the various integrations is fast and simple, which helps to make your email marketing that much easier.
Drag and Drop Interface
Creating and sending your email campaigns couldn’t be easier with the AWeber drag and drop email editor. You can create professional looking emails even if you don’t have any design experience. By picking whichever tools you want from the toolbar, you can easily drag and drop them on your message and customize them.
Landing Page Creator
To create landing pages with AWeber, choose any of the available landing page integrations such as LeadPages, Instapage, Unbounce, Landing Page Cat and PageWiz. LandingCube allows amazon sellers to build landing pages from the ground up.
With over 700 email templates, all of which are customizable, you can create awesome email campaigns that are also responsive on mobile devices.
Sign-Up Forms Within Newsletters Tool
AWeber’s sign-up form generator allows you to create simple yet effective sign-up and opt-in forms. You can tweak and customize the design to match your business brand. You can also use the forms to segment your subscribers for more targeted email marketing.
AWeber Customer Service (Rated: 5/5)
The support offered by Aweber is round-the-clock and they have a quick response time, especially by live chat, earning them a score of 5.
AWeber offers around-the-clock support via email, live chat, or even over the phone. If you choose email, a support agent will usually reach you within a business day to acknowledge your issues and start the resolution process.
If you’re pressed for time, or in an emergency, however, the live chat is your best option.
1100 Manor Drive, Chalfont,
PA 18914, USA
Mailerlite: They have affordable prices compared to AWeber, and the features they offer are advanced. With Mailerlite's free plan, you can have up to 1000 contacts with a limit of 12,000 emails per month.
ActiveCampaign: If Aweber’s automation doesn't quite do it for you, then ActiveCampaign won't disappoint. They offer powerful automation, some of the best I have seen, and for a premium price, you will get the ultimate email marketing software.
Benchmark: This is an easy-to-use software that offers basic features. What stands out about them is their fast drag-and-drop editor that provides a smooth experience. Benchmark also has great support with an extensive library of resources.
After using AWeber for 6 months I found the software to be intuitive and easy to use, complete with a variety of templates, extensive support options, and an all-round great tool for small businesses.
What I Liked About AWeber
There are many AWeber features which I really liked, starting with its intuitive design and easy-to-use interface.
AWeber also offers more email templates than most of the competing email marketing solutions.
Additionally, the software integrates easily with third-party apps and tools. The easy drag-and-drop features plus the automation features make AWeber among the best email marketing software in the market today.
What I Didn’t Like About AWeber
Although it does offer plenty of features and resources, AWeber is on the higher end of the pricing spectrum. If you’re in a budget crunch, there are other tools that may be more appropriate for your financial state. Additionally, although there are hundreds of templates to choose from, some could do with design update. Also, I discovered that you could not include or exclude a number of segments all at once when you are sending a newsletter.