Written by Ria du Plessis - Digital Marketing Expert
What is Odoo?
As a customizable open-source software, Odoo represents a way to make your business go to the next level in terms of success, both financial and marketing-wise. It was founded back in 2005 and its current location is the United States.
Odoo Pros & Cons
- Many educational resources are available: Odoo has a plethora of educational resources for those who don’t have the necessary experience to understand how this software works right from the start. They provide documentation along with tutorials and an education program that could come in handy.
- A free trial is available: This platform offers a 15-day 100% free trial so all potential clients can test the multitude of features that it offers. This is a very good way of getting accustomed to the system and figuring out what exactly you need for your business.
- Both desktop and mobile versions are available: Odoo also comes with both a desktop version and a mobile app for those who want to check up on their progress while on the go. The desktop version is web-based while the mobile one is free to download from any app store.
- The customer support system is not great: Odoo provides customer support either through a 24/5 live chat or via e-mail, both in English as well as in French. The problem is that the team is not that quick to respond and it usually takes a lot until your issue gets solved, in case it gets solved.
- Every new app you add to your subscription increases the price: I get it that this is how Odoo prefers to price its features but for some people, it can be a problem. Depending on how many extra apps they need, they might end up paying a rather big price.
Who is Odoo Good For?
- All kinds of businesses: Odoo is the type of platform that can help all kinds of businesses, regardless of their size, experience, or domain of activity. From individuals who own a blog to online stores or big websites with lots of subscribers, everyone can use this platform.
- People who prefer a custom-made paid plan: Interestingly, this software allows clients to select from a variety of apps only the ones that they think will be useful for their goals. This makes the Odoo paid plans custom and, in a way, you pay only for what you use.
Odoo Isn’t Recommended For:
- People who prefer pre-made plans: As I mentioned above, Odoo allows you to customize your paid plan instead of only offering you pre-made ones with certain features for a certain monthly or yearly price. However, if you don’t want this kind of deal, this software is not right for you.
- People who prefer forever free plans: Odoo only offers a free trial and paid plans that can be customized with your preferred apps for a certain price each. While a minimum number of apps are free to use, as the CRM ones, there is no forever free plan
Custom-made paid plan
As I already explained, Odoo has fully customizable paid plans that allow clients to pick from a large number of apps and conceive their own plans. For each app you choose, there is an extra price that you have to pay, besides the monthly price per user.
Both parties can terminate an account a minimum of 30 days before the term’s end through a written notice. The official website does not mention any details concerning any kinds of refunds that a client could benefit from.
In this next section, I will be focusing on the most important e-mail marketing-oriented features that Odoo offers to its clients. Here we go!
· Personalized campaign creation
Odoo allows clients to either design their own campaigns from scratch or to use the pre-made templates, which can also be customized, to come up with engaging and targeted e-mails. The tool is very easy to use even if you don’t have any experience. Plus, it offers customers the possibility to add things like buttons or calls to action with just a few clicks.
· Segmentation tools
With the Odoo segmentation tools, you are able to optimize results by creating targeted campaigns thanks to the in-depth data that you have access to. You can make selections within your lists and sort them according to your preferred parameters for increased engagement and better results for your marketing campaigns.
· Device optimization
This software helps you optimize your e-mail marketing campaigns so that they look perfect on any device. Odoo is making sure that all subscribers have a good customer experience and readability when they open your newsletters, regardless if they do it on a smartphone, tablet, or PC.
This is how the dashboard on Odoo looks like
· Campaign improvement
Data is extremely important when it comes to the way a marketing campaign performs. This is why Odoo helps you with in-depth data and real-time statistics so you know what to change and what to keep. Following certain opportunities while giving up on others could be the key to improving your campaigns.
· Link tracking
Thanks to the link tracking tool on Odoo, clients are able to add tracking codes to their campaign links and see how each of them is performing. You can see all of the data on a special dashboard that gathers all information in one place.
· ROI calculator
The CRM tool on this platform permits clients to take advantage of all opportunities and analyze the conversion rate. Thanks to the multitude of available filters, everyone can get a clear view of the expected and generated revenue, among other important aspects.
Creating mailings and choosing a template on Odoo
The e-mail automation tools on this platform have been specifically created and curated so that clients can perform certain tasks with just a simple button touch.
- E-mail marketing automation: Streamlining your workflow goes beyond sending occasional or any other type of e-mails automatically. This tool also allows you to assign tasks to your team members and to even move leads forward in sales funnels.
- End-to-end customer journey: The customization on Odoo is certainly complex and it even permits clients to design their own multi-stage marketing campaigns. They are free to insert triggers and actions so that they can watch their customers’ every step.
A look at the e-mail marketing automation tools on Odoo
This platform comes with a very large number of integrations and each of them is meant as a helper for your business, depending on what you are looking for and what your goals are. So, a few examples of integrations on Odoo are Shopify, Magento 2, Amazon, OneDrive, MailChimp, Whatsapp, and eBay. You can see their prices on the platform’s official apps page.
These are just some of the available Odoo integrations
Active Campaign is one of the best alternatives for this platform and it’s especially helpful for larger companies and brands. Its CXA platform is top-notch as well as its e-mail marketing automation tools, which are very powerful. What’s even better is that its cheapest paid plan only costs $9 per month.
Constant Contact is a good option in case you have a small or medium company or brand and wish to create engaging and professional e-mail marketing campaigns. As its name suggests, it helps you maintain friendly contact with your subscribers or clients, all at a starting price of $20 per month. Besides this, the tool comes with a 100% free plan if you prefer not to pay.
Aweber is a nice online marketing tool if you are looking for a mid-range service that does its job well, is easy-to-use, versatile, and doesn’t cost a lot. Its prices start at $16.15 per month and it has many features that will help any brand connect with its audience better.
In the end, what matters is what we want from a specific type of software and how much we are willing to pay for it. In my opinion, Odoo is one of the best such platforms, especially if you are a larger company looking for a 360-degree solution. It provides all tools that you could possibly need depending on your desires and at a reasonable price.